The Governing Council of Andalusia has agreed to enroll the old Silo of Cordoba as Monument in the General Catalogue of Andalusian Historical Heritage and Cultural Interest. The building, built in the 40s with a successful combination of neo-mudejar and rationalist styles, is closely linked to the history, industrial heritage and image of the city.
This ancient grain tank, one of the first silos raised from the National Network of Silos and the best preserved of its kind, was built in 1943 following the project from agronomist Carlos Ynzenga Caramanzana and under the program that seeked to reduce cereal shortages after Spain’s Civil War. Opened in 1951, the silo had a capacity of 15,000 tons, including modern facilities for grain cleaning, selection and disinfection, as well as the necessary equipment for corn de-kernel and drying. In operation for half a century, the silo had up to 4,000 workers.
The Silo maintains in good repair its machinery and defining elements of the architecture designed for the National Wheat Service. This is also the highest building of the capital and was conceived as the culmination of a large development project that included the layout of the Medina Azahara Avenue. More than with other buildings of similar function, it is stylistically similar to other Neo-Mudejar buildings of the same era, such as the nearby University of Veterinary Medicine, now the Vice-Chancellor Office.
Besides the main building, the declaration as a Site of General Interest includes the annexed buildings: the former director home, the station master’s house, an adjacent warehouse and a services booth.
More information: Diario Cordoba